Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Madonna....


Living in New York is like having Madonna as a Fairy Godmother that every once and a while shows up and bestows all the faggots across the land with lavish gifts and fierce beats. Today is the official release of her new album Confessions on a Dance Floor. I've been lucky enough to have had the pleasure of listening to the entire album on a loop for two weeks thanks to the Gay Mafia at work. They somehow nabbed an advanced copy and have subjected us to "The Madonna" as one my of coworker calls her, over and over again. I was also surprised when said Mafioso gave me a copy of the bootleg on the condition that I go out and get a "real" copy later on.
"Jose, do like The Madonna?", Mafioso asked me with his real British accent that sounds almost fake but is real as I was cropping pictures for some model, while her newest single "Hung Up" played for the tenth time that day.
"You mean this? Her?" I pointed up, confused and wary because he never talks directly to me. And when he does have something to say he very cunty about it so I proceeded with caution.
"YES, you silly boy. You like it? I think it's fierce and I can't wait to get the real copy. What do you think of it, this new album?"
"I like it, the beats are simple yet intricate and the songs tend to have lyrics from old songs that she has had in the past. I think I like also because it's...what's the word? Familiar, yeah. That's it." I held my breath and waited for his verbal aria against what I had just said.
He then looked at me like he finally realized that I was person with an opinion and not some kid that he yells at to do favors for him.
"Hmmm, do want me to have the art department burn you a copy? I can do that you know, I'll have them burn you a copy..... on one condition."
"What's that?" I asked sheepishly afraid that I was going to have to do something embarrassing in front of the whole staff.
"I'll give you a copy for your listening pleasure, but you have to promise to go out and buy a real copy so you can have the liner notes for your homosexual collection." All this was said with his fey British accent that reminds me My Fair Lady, only gayer.
"I promise!" I breathlessly whispered with an my own gay version of his accent that surprised me.
He went off in a rampage to get the art department to make me a copy and then later gave me the CD in front of the Gay Mafia as they all approved and made me promise once again that I would indeed go out and get a copy. I've since been loving this album, it hasn't stopped playing on my Ipod. Madonna made this CD so that all the songs flow into one another like one continuous song that never stalls or breaks. I especially love the video for her first single and one track called "I love New York" which she sings about her city that she left behind before she gave up her Queendom to become Euro-trash.
Even though this is the kind of CD that my friends and I would have played while we were coming down off of ecstasy, it's still great music to play on the subway while inside your head your life is a video on Mtv.
"Time goes by, so slowly....Time goes by, so slowly...... I do love the Madonna!"
DF.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Ok, so I was a total cheapskate and burned the CD from someone who bought it at Wal-Mart for $9.72. But ya know what, after an initial quick scan-thru ... not really impressed. It sounds like a gay bar soundtrack. I guess after a few listenings that it'll grow on me. I totally enjoy "Hung Up" though. :)